Sunday 30 September 2012

Low Carb, High Fat vs Low Fat, High Carb

Butter and Oils
I follow a low carbohydrate, high fat diet to manage my blood sugar levels because most carbohydrates spike it to levels I consider unacceptable. My doctor recommends that I eat low fat, high carbohydrate, where the carbs are the so-called complex carbohydrates. These are things like potatoes, rice, pasta and whole wheat breads. Unfortunately, though the peaks aren't as high, I still get blood glucose spikes from these foods and those spikes leave me at higher numbers for longer.

I'm always interested to read about the research into these competing diets. Here's an interesting paper from Diabetologia, describing a comparison of low fat and low carbohydrate diets. In this case, the low fat diet did not appear to be the better choice for type 2 diabetics. Low carbohydrate diets improved glycaemic control when compared to the standard medical diet advice.

>>In type 2 diabetes, randomisation to advice to follow a low-carbohydrate diet transiently improves glycaemic control compared with advice to follow a low-fat diet producing a similar weight loss

No comments:

Post a Comment

All feedback is welcome but offensive comments or those touting unproven products won't make it to the blog.